The Electricity Sub-sector
Electricity sub-sector players include the following: -
- Ministry of Energy (MOE) – sectoral policy, supervision and interventions.
- Energy Regulatory Commission (ERC) – Enforcing regulations, licensing power companies, customer protection, approving Power Purchase Agreements and Tariff Reviews.
- Kenya Electricity Generation Company (KenGen)– Largest electricity generation company that is majority Government owned.
- Geothermal Development Company Ltd. (GDC) - Development of geothermal resources.
- Kenya Power & Lighting Company Ltd. (KPLC) – Generation at off-grid stations, power purchase, transmission, distribution and retail sales of electricity.
- Kenya Electricity Transmission Company Ltd. (KETRACO) - Development and ownership of new transmission lines.
- Rural Electrification Authority (REA) – Implementation of the Rural Electrification Program (scheme construction).
- Independent Power Producers (IPPs) – Private sector power generation companies selling bulk power to KPLC.
- Uganda Electricity Transmission Company Ltd (UETCL) – an external power trader interconnected to Kenya by a 132kV transmission line who import from and export power to Kenya.
- Tanzania Electricity Supply Company (TANESCO) – an external power trader currently supplying electricity to KPLC at border town of Lunga Lunga and buying electricity from KPLC at Namanga, both supplies at 33kV.